Latest News

Loading...

Friday, February 11, 2011

Kirsten: I wanted to impress Sachin


Gary Kirsten has revealed how he tried to impress Sachin Tendulkar before taking up the role of India’s coach.

Kirsten, one of the most popular coaches India have had, is on the last leg of his tenure as he will be stepping down after the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup.
Kirsten: I wanted to impress Sachin

“I still remember in Adelaide (during India’s 2007-08 tour of Australia), Sachin came up to me and said ‘Can you throw a few balls at me?’

“I said to myself, I need to impress him. I threw from 16-17 yards and he missed a few balls. Next moment, he came to me and said, “Gary do you mind going a few yards back?” Kirsten recollected during the release of journalist Gautam Bhattacharya’s book ‘Sach’ on Thursday.

“After that, lovely cover drives flowed from Sachin’s bat. It was a good learning experience for me. I am fortunate to have had many net sessions with him and played alongside him.”

“It has been a humble privilege to have worked with him and the rest of the Indian team,” he continued.

Kirsten feels that it’s Sachin’s modesty that makes him the champion he is.

“Whenever Sachin comes out to bat, he does so with absolute humility. He is undoubtedly the greatest sporting role model.”

Tendulkar himself was present during the release of his biography, along with teammates Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh, Yusuf Pathan and Rahul Dravid. Former captain Anil Kumble was at the venue as well.

“I have never really got tired of watching Sachin bat. He has inspired so many generation of kids,” Dravid said.

Kumble echoed the sentiments of his erstwhile teammate.

“He has touched the lives of more people than anyone in the world. It’s been a privilege to have witnessed Sachin’s achievements.

The leg-spinner ended by giving his best to the Indian team for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup.

“The World Cup is one tournament that requires team effort. I wish Sachin, MS (Dhoni) and the rest of the boys all the best in their endeavour to win the Cup,” Kumble said.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain