Latest News

Loading...

Friday, November 19, 2010

My bats is courtesy Sachin Tendulkar.:Harbhajan Singh.


Modern Victor Trumper! Vintage Garry Sobers! Rising star of Indian batting! The newest number 3 for the South African tour! The accolades are pouring in, Harbhajan Singh is savouring them, and why not? Back-to-back Test centuries have certainly enhanced his cricketing CV.

V.V.S. Laxman, who happens to be Harbhajan's batting coach, is delightfully envious. “He was brilliant. He must teach me this art now, what timing, what co-ordination, what punch” Laxman laughs. “I haven't been able to hit back-to-back hundreds. I would love to emulate Bhajji Sir. I have always been a fan of his batting.”

Sachin Tendulkar is generous in praise. “I have been telling him for years about his batting ability. I am very happy for him the way he has had an impact as a batsman. I am sure he will continue to play important role as a batsman as well in the future,” Tendulkar says in a message.

Harbhajan is conscious of his batting gear now. “I did not have match bats earlier; used to flick other's bats. Now I have a selection. You must see my kitbag. Not one bat has spike marks. I keep them in nice covers. I pick my bats with care, the grains, the grip, weight, balance…I have some superb bats in my collection now.”

Gift from the master

The collection of Harbhajan's bats is courtesy Sachin Tendulkar. They have all been ‘gifted' by the master. “All the bats that he discards become my proud and priceless possession. Bats that don't suit him nicely fit my requirements. Defective for him but not for me! Sachin and VVS have been most encouraging.”

The batsmen in the dressing room have marvelled at the ease with which Harbhajan kept clearing the field. Says Virender Sehwag, tormentor of bowlers, including Harbhajan at nets, wants to “play some of the shots” that the off-spinner produced at Ahmedabad and Hyderabad. “I am going to raid his kitbag and snatch one of the bats,” threatens Sehwag.

Anil Kumble welcomed the ‘new' Harbhajan. “I knew he had always in him but the difference is that he is looking to play straight. Earlier he would look to score all his runs in one over. Not anymore. It is good for the team. I won't mind having one of his bats for myself (for IPL).”

How does Harbhajan view this transformation in his cricketing profile? “I am not comfortable with the all-rounder's tag. I am a bowler who can bat and want to contribute when it matters the most.

“At Hyderabad I just counter-attacked. I had no other choice. At Ahmedabad it was different. I wanted to give VVS company. He kept guiding me, one more over, one more over, and it transformed into a hundred.”

IF ONLY… !

Reflecting on his batting potential, he says, “If only I had taken my batting seriously. On and off I did give it a thought. Runs at Sydney and Adelaide (in early 2008) showed me the way.

“But then I never looked at it from a batsman's frame of mind. I didn't give a thought to things like seeing off a spell, a bowler, developing shot selection.”

Harbhajan insists, “Now I look at spending more time in the middle, curb my strokes,” and adds in a lighter vein, “I have also learnt to put a price to my wicket as a batsman would tell you.”

And his greatest reward? “The joy on the faces of Sachin, VVS, Viru and others when I reached my first Test century!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain