Latest News

Loading...

Friday, November 12, 2010

Sachin is great motivator: Bhajji

India's Harbhajan Singh talks exclusively about scoring his maiden Test century this week against New Zealand in Ahmedabad, on this week's ICC Cricket World audio show.


The 30-year-old all-rounder had a particularly strong match with the bat, scoring 69 and 115 and helping to guide India to a draw against the Black Caps. "I never dreamed that I would receive a man of the match award as a batsman and definitely not in Test cricket! I am really happy that my century helped us to draw the game, which is all that mattered.

"VVS Laxman gave me some good advice telling me not to play on the rise as the wicket was very slow, which was great advice as it meant I went on to score my century," says Harbhajan.

"Sachin Tendulkar is a great motivator for all of us whether he is out in the field or in the dressing room. He always told me I should be going out and scoring a Test century so I wanted to show him that my maiden Test century was for him," adds Harbhajan as an explanation of his signal to Tendulkar in the dressing room when he scored his century.

Joining Harbhajan on this week's show is former South African batsman Peter Kirsten who offers his predictions for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011. The elder half-brother of India coach, Gary Kirsten, Peter is predicting his brother's team to do well in the tournament that is due to begin in 99 days hosted in India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. "I think a World Cup on the sub-continent will be an exciting one and a well contested tournament. "India are my favourites for the tournament, I wouldn't say it's just because of Gary coaching them, I honestly think they are a strong side," says Kirsten. "There's a lot of cricket being played in the 100 days before the World Cup with India touring South Africa, a country it's yet to win a series, while England take on Australia in the Ashes. There's a lot that can change in that time but I think the sides will be well prepared," he adds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain